Freight, Logistics and Commercial Vehicle Operations
The effective and efficient movement of freight is essential to the social and economic well being of a modern society. However freight movement presents many challenges for all stakeholders including the commercial and private sector, government at all levels, consumers and the general public. The application of the ICT technologies to freight and the operation of commercial vehicles has the potential to realise efficiencies and benefits in several areas.
The following topics are of interest for standardisation development in CEN/TC 278/WG2:
- The definition of architectural models, with associated roles and responsibilities supporting a range of applications and services supporting the transportation of freight and commercial vehicle operations.
- Definitions of associated information and process models.
- Conformance and testing requirements.
- Definition of associated terminology and the relationships of data for exchange.
Such applications may include:
- e-documentation transfer for freight consignments;
- e-clearance and intelligent cargo handling;
- remote load track, trace and monitoring;
- emergency and incident support systems;
- remote Dangerous Goods monitoring and incident notification;
Intelligent Trunk Parking and Reservation and the linkages between these and other forms of ITS application such as: routing services for commercial vehicle operations; traffic and travel information for commercial vehicle operations, payment and fee collection services; remote vehicle stop.